Friday, April 13, 2007

A Select Few

We attended a very informative IVF workshop on Wednesday. The embryologist very professionally announces, "And for a select few of you...and I don't mean that in a good way...you will need PDG." Well, call me lucky, but you know we are of the "select few." PDG, or Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis, is when the embryologist selects the best embryos to transfer into my not-so-friendly gut. This is an extra $5,000, but definitely worth the money if we are able to rule out embryos with potential genetic problems. And while we are feeling lucky, Dr. V. says that some women may not even be a candidate for IVF because of the lack of eggs in the ovarian reserve. Women that are genetically wired for early menopause may not have enough eggs left. Well, you know I have to be at risk for that too because otherwise it just wouldn't be fair. My mother went into menopause at 38 right after she had me...it just gets better each day! We'll make an appt. with Dr. V. soon for a consultation where we can ask questions pertinent to our situation.

I'm just not sure whether to keep on this same train and hope we will reach the desired destination at some point, or to wave the white flag and do IVF when we figure out the money situation. Honestly, right now at 10:26pm, I really don't think I'm ready for IVF just yet. At 10:29 I might feel differently, but I do know for sure that I cannot keep losing babies.

1 comment:

Sophia said...

You know my heart goes out to you in all of this. It's certainly not easy. At the same time, I am glad that you're young and have time to think and pray this through. Plus, of course, you have a wonderfully supportive husband to walk through this with you.