Friday, January 25, 2008

Lesson Learned: Don't Get Too Comfortable

25 Weeks, 3 Days

Just when you think everything is going great. Just when you think you might actually make it to the dream come true. Just when you think you can enjoy every moment. Just when you think you are feeling pretty darn good...you get a reminder that there is still so much that can go wrong. So many hurdles to leap, so many bridges of fire to cross, and a little voice in my head repeating, "Don't get too comfortable."

Thursday night was an uncomfortable night. The feeling that your belly might explode with every breath isn't great. And, sweet baby girl was not active as she normally is. No movement Friday morning, which is not at all the way our mornings usually go. My belly was cramping and I just didn't feel good. So, at 9:30am I decide to drink a Coke in hopes of jolting her awake, as I never have them. One hour passes and no movement. I'm slowly becoming more sick to my stomach and finally break down.

So, I did what I have never done in 9 years of teaching. I got the first person that walked into my room to cover the class, left the room, never told the kids "goodbye", never looked twice to see what confidential papers were on my desk, never lifted a finger to get something together for a sub, and never stopped by the office on my way out.

Dr. S. got us in quickly and, of course, everything checked out fine.

However, for once, I was validated and received an explanation. Baby Girl and her "long legs" decided to do a ginormous fruit basket turn-over move and wore herself out / beat up my insides. And...a possible bladder infection to boot.

And while things are a little better today and she is moving as much as she can being in such a bad position, I've been knocked back down a few notches. Reminded again not to get too comfortable. Reminded that there is still a long way to go. Reminded not to take one single second of this pregnancy for granted. How easy it is to forget sometimes.

Lesson learned.

17 comments:

Sunny said...

Sweetheart that is SO scary. I am glad you did what you had to do. You and your little one are more important than work. HUGS! I hope you could 'relax' a bit this weekend.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad everything is okay and that you were validated for once. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Prayers going up for the next 15 weeks.

K

Mrs. Collins said...

Yes, that happened to me several times. There will be times you can relax, especially when baby girl is moving. But be prepared for the times when she's not and you have to go to the ER. I say ER and not doctor's office because she will probably be like Andy and schedule is movement strikes on the weekend or at night when the doctor's office is closed. I'm so freakin' proud of you that you just walked out of the classroom and went to the doctor. Way to go! It's time to re-prioritize. You can do this though, you are more then half-way there.

Collins Family said...

I know you will not feel totally comfortable until she is born, you always imagine the worst, I know I have been there too. Hang in there This baby is going to be fine and meet you in 100 days! Don't ever let anyone tell you that you are over reacting go with your gut and get checked out at least for piece of mind. When I was pregnant with Izzie I rented a doppler so I could hear her heartbeat everyday and that also helped me, especially those times she was tuckered out and sleeping inside me and not playing soccer in my belly. We live for those movements throughout the day just to reassure us. Hang in there and get some rest.

girlh said...

phew. i read that post so quickly...i just wanted to get to the end and know little miss was ok. i too had a scare and there are no words to truly describe that feeling of dread. you did the right thing by going straight to the dr. anyone that can't understand, well, they just can't.

day by day and lots of deep breaths and soon you'll be on the other side of this. though i know you won't truly believe that until she's here, and that's ok.
xoxo

Monica H said...

Oh, that was scary! but I'm so glad you just left and went to the doctor. You and little girl are priority right now. Relax (easier said than done, I know) and take it day by day. You're doing a wonderful job and you have less than 100 days to go.

Kristi said...

I'm so glad that you went to the dr. to check everything out. I gave myself permission to do that too - I didn't care what others thought, I had to do what was right for me & Peanut.

Sending positive thoughts!!

mbc said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meg said...

Okay - that was the scariest and cutest post I have read in a long time....

Ann said...

Oh, I so wish you didn't have ANY scary moments in this pregnancy, that it could be the most boring pregnancy possible. It sucks to be pretty relaxed, and then be jolted back to reality.

Yias Yias Girl said...

I'm glad all is well, except for the bladder infection. I would have done the same thing and left the class as well. I too read the post, then scanned to the bottom to make sure all was OK and then read the rest. I'm so glad she just flipped around - it is scary when they you don't feel them move!

Kim said...

My goodness, you just scared the bejeezus out of me. Thank God your little lady is okay. I hope you're feeling better.

cb said...

You and baby first.
School and students second.
No guilt.
No doubts.
I'm so happy that you remembered that! And, thankful that all is well. My prayers are with you!
XOXO

wannabe mom said...

i'm glad everything turned out ok. are you still on your feet for a full day of teaching? please take it easy as much as you're able to. thinking of you.

lltanderson said...

so glad to hear everything's good, but so sorry for you to have had such a scare. good for you making yourself and your baby girl the first priority.

whatthef*ck said...

umm hello are you okay?

Bill said...

I hope you're OK now. There are a lot of sad things in our life happen from time to time.
best custom writing service